Eglise Saint Jacques

Historic site and monument, Church

Dating from the 12th century, the church of Souraïde is dedicated to Saint James the Greater.
Located on the Batzan road, Souraïde developed during the Middle Ages by welcoming pilgrims on the road to Santiago de Compostela, hence the dedication of the church.
Rebuilt in the 17th and 18th centuries, the building was equipped in the 19th century with a gabled bell tower characteristic of the churches of Labourd.
Inside, the single nave is surmounted by two floors of galleries. In Basque churches, men are separated from women during masses and must sit high up in the galleries reserved for them.
Decorated with tapestries, the altarpiece houses several statues of Saint James. As for the four glass windows, they were made by a Toulouse craftsman, Henri Gesta, in 1924.
The church of Saint-Jacques-le-Majeur, listed by the Monuments Historiques, was restored in 1968.


Practical information

  • LanguagesFrench, Basque



Free of charge



Complementary informations

Informazio osagarria

  • Visiting conditions : Unaccompanied tours
  • Groups : Accepted



Eglise Saint Jacques
Write to us +33 5 59 29 73 18